Milano

 

NOUVELLE OPTION: Version française



My friends and loved ones,

Following my Grand Prix weekend, under the influence of jet lag, white wine and Limoncello, and followed by my departure by train on Monday morning to Milan, I forgot to show you on my last blog pictures of the nice city of Monza. So, here they are:





















Now, let me tell you a bit about my first week in Milan.


My apartment in Milan is on via Valpetrosa corner via Torino, a few step from the Duomo:

Via Torino
Via Valpetrosa corner via Torino
Via Valpetrosa




The entrance

  




That is one hell of a lock!
View from my room 
Beautiful night view


The Milanese mosquitoes are minuscule but voracious! The Italians do not know about mosquito screens, so the doors and sky lights must always be closed, but when I enter or leave the apartment, the little f&$%@#s manage to get in and I get up in the morning with new bites on my body. I have 15 up ’til now! However, they are Italian mosquitoes so they are conscious of La Bella Figura and avoid my face!

I have not been completely taken by Milan compared to my intense love for Rome, for example. Milan has certain islands of antique architectural jewels such as the Duomo, the Castello Sforzesco, Santa Maria della Grazie, the Galeria and more, but it is all mixed with neighboring middle of the 20th century and beyond modern architecture that dilutes its beauty. Maybe it does not help that the entire city in under construction! You’d think you’re in Montreal with all the orange cones! It must be said that people from Milan are very warm, good-looking, tall and, of course, well dressed, everything to charm me! Of all my trips to Italy, it is the first time that Italians constantly ask me: “You are German, aren’t you?” Of course, I don’t tell them every detail of my DNA, but I always tell them, “Half, half!” This is a great pretense to start a conversation and get to know the people of the area.

By coming to Italy in September, I thought I would take advantage of cooler weather, ideal for visits. Well, no! It is still 30 degrees and we’re dying! Luckily, I have air conditioning in the apartment. 

The shopping is intense in Milan and since, I have been reading like a maniac to leave behind the weight of the books I brought with the weight of my purchases!















Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II






The train station

Santa Maria della Grazie
















Piazza del Duomo




I have also made an important surprise visit to the Santa Marcelline school in Milan: Sister Louise and Sister Anna-Rita were very happy to see a familiar face from the villa in Montreal. We talked, laughed together and it was a joy to see each other again. 





The restaurants in Milan only open at 7:30 p.m., which for me is the middle of the night! So when I wait to go to the restaurant, I drink some wine as I watch Italian TV and when I leave, I am obviously a little tipsy and after an excellent meal accompanied of more good wine, I come back on foot on the cobbled streets and I wonder how I will avoid spraining my ankle! I also think I gained 10 pounds in two weeks, MINIMUM!

Via Maurilio where you find many good restaurants







Trattoria Toscana La Fettunta


Excellent spaghetti alle vongole!

Bistro Motta
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
A perfect place to write 
Delicious serving of spaghetti carbonara

Ristorante Biffi
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II





Bistro San Maurì






Spaghetti alla du Temple!

Today, I visited the Duomo at 30 degrees and 89% humidity! A guided tour, that was supposed to last 1 h 30, stretched to 2 hours in full sun on the roof. I can tell you that I was dripping from every crack of my body! At a certain point, I thought I was going to fall from a heat stroke on top of the central dome! I barely survived, but now I know that you must visit Milan in January to have some cool air!








San Bartelemi skinned alive and his skin is draped over his shoulders 

















Talk to you next week!

Diane xxx...

No comments:

Post a Comment